A Brief History...
|The name of the parish of Makerstoun has been variously written in ancient documents as Muckerstoun, Mackarvastun, Malkariston, Malcarstoun and Macarstoun. The name probably derived from some original settler called Malcar or Mac-car, whose tun, or dwelling, was fixed on the site.
In and around 1125 Walter Corbet, laird of Makerstoun, built the village of Makerstoun and the church. It is recorded that shortly thereafter he …” granted to the monks of Kelso, the church at Malcaruastun, with a carucate of land.” The church was known as ‘Church of St Peter of Makerstoun’.
The first recorded minister of the church was Martin Rutherford in 1567.
Although public worship would be conducted in this church, it is interesting to note that at some point in the 13th century the monks granted to Corbets’ grandchild the right to celebrate divine worship in their own chapel of the manor of Malcarveston .
Around the middle of the 17th century there were more 250 communicants associated with the church. It would appear though that the church building had certain deficiencies for in 1668 it was complained that the old church was found to be …..’ ruinous neither watertight nor commodiously seated within’.
In 1727 a new manse was ordered. Thereafter in 1807 it was decided by the Barony of Makerstoun that the church, manse offices, garden and glebe should be moved to a more “centrical site”.
The new church was built in 1808 and it is this church that stands today.